Mac OS X finally with a real Java

A quote from a newsletter from Oracle.

Oracle and Apple Announce OpenJDK Project for OSX; Java SE 7 and 8 JSRs Approved

Good news all around! Oracle and Apple announced the OpenJDK project for Mac OS X. Apple will contribute most of the key components, tools and technology required for a Java SE 7 implementation on Mac OS X, including a 32-bit and 64-bit HotSpot-based Java virtual machine, class libraries, a networking stack and the foundation for a new graphical client. OpenJDK will make Apple's Java technology available to open source developers so you can access and contribute to the effort.

Furthermore, the JCP Executive Committe has approved the JSR "quartet" for Java SE 7 and Java SE 8. With this ratification, the Java standard will progress through the JCP while the open source reference implementation will be delivered through the OpenJDK project. See you on OpenJDK!

-The Oracle Technology Network Team (See Team Blog)

This means Java SE 7 woud be available for Mac OS X too and that Apple users will receive Java as soon as other platforms dog. Also the four JSRs for Java SE 7, Java SE 8, Project Coin and Lambda Expressions.

Oracle on linux: changing the hostname messes up with Oracle

There’s this Oracle 10g R2 database. It’s installed on SUSE. The version of the SUSE as far as I know is 11.1. We had to change the hostname of the linux machine (some corporate standards). Changing the hostname made Oracle unusable. It started on startup, but could open port 1521 and still thought it is on the old hostname. “/etc/init.d/oracle-xe status” said things are not working, even though the processes started without an error. port 1521 was not opened. It was strange that the startup script didn’t say something is wrong. It was strange that the db could be used locally by oracle’s command-line tools ( I guess via pipes since the port hadn’t been opened).I tried Google the issue, but fruitlessly. Then I tried to figure out where did Oracle keep the old hostname, but the directory structure of Oracle is not that easy to understand. Being desperate I tried searching the whole hard-drive for a specific string:

grep –r “old_hostname” /

After 24 hours I gave up.

Solution 1

Being desperate and developing on another temporary oracle server, we decided to give up corporate naming strategies and to return the old hostname – IT WORKED.

Solution 2

By chance I saw that the old hostname was used in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora. Being stubborn I changed the hostname to the one we wanted to use and edited both .ora files. It worked. I hate Oracle.