Today, 17.02.2015, the Bulgarian Java User Group (BGJUG) organized another hackaton. This time we wanted to fix warnings inside the jdk.
First we did
$ make clean JAVAC_WARNINGS="-Xlint:all,deprecation,rawtypes,\ unchecked,cast,serial,dep-ann,static,fallthrough,try,varargs,\ empty,finally -Xmaxwarns 10000" DISABLE_WARNINGS="-Xlint:all"\ LOG=info images
to generate a
build.log to find out all the warnings. Then with any text editor one could open
jdk9/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/build.log and use these searches (using regular expressions) to find all the warnings:
openjdk/jdk9/corba(.)* warning openjdk/jdk9/jaxp(.)* warning openjdk/jdk9/jaxws(.)* warning openjdk/jdk9/nashorn(.)* warning
359 corba 100 jaxp 500 jaxws 0 nashorn
rawtypes 43 unchecked 14 serial 32 cast 10 dep-ann 1
Note: Dep-ann is to add the
We fixed the last three types and created a patch: http://bgjug.sty.bz/bgjug/~bgjug/fix-warnings-jaxp-part1/webrev.00/, because the unchecked and the rawtypes are a bit tricky as they involve changing public APIs.
We then tried to solve as much of the latter as possible and then created a second patch: http://bgjug.sty.bz/bgjug/~bgjug/fix-warnings-jaxp-full/webrev.00/