In this first post I explained how Google Apps account were created to be incomplete (only docs, mail, calendar; no reader, groups, so on) and how I had to create a so called "Google Account" for my Google Apps account that would allow me to access all the google services. At this point this stopps working so I decide to migrate to a newer version of Google Apps that allows its accounts to access all google services. All this happens for my stoynov.com account.
So I start the migration and Google says that my new stoynov.com Google Apps accounts will be able access 62 new services and that I can stop some of them. I allowed them all.
Now it says that there's a conflict between my Google Apps accoung for email@example.com and my "Google Account" for the same address. Here's what it says when I logged on gmail.com:
It seems that now my new Google Apps account takes precedence over my Google Account and the latter is now moved to a temporary address. It suggests I check these two links (Address No Longer Available and Not sure what to do?).
The stupid thing is that there's no simple "merge" that could provide a wizard and be done with it.
There are three options - create new gmail account, create new non-google account, do it later. Until then the temp address of the old "Google Account" is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since I don't want a new gmail account and no other account, I chose later.
Then I checked my google groups while logged as email@example.com. Google said:
It comes out that Google Groups are not available for the Standard Edition of Google Apps. There seems to be a bug that's described here. For a second I thought that I'd lose access to all the groups and would not be able to receive messages. I quickly made a test. The mail came, so no access is lost.
So now I don't have access to groups.google.com, but at least my subscriptions go to firstname.lastname@example.org that redirects to email@example.com.
Google messed this up and I intend to mail support so that I could be able to fix this somehow.
P.S. But even when/if it's fixed I would have to call all Groups admins to switch my subscription from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com.
Another ugly thing from that migration is the inablility to be logged to many mails simultaneously - before this migration I could be logged to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org; today I can be logged to only one. And the nice "switch account" feature is not working. After going to google.com/accounts it worked:
The last thing is the difference between the two profiles - email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org:
Updates to follow.